January 19-30, 2019
All Inclusive Textile Study Intensive.
Two Artists Travel LLC, a.k.a. Sue Stover and Amanda Jolley, invite you to join us for an intimate textile intensive in the Kutch area of Gujarat, India. Gujarat is a state in western India and one of India’s richest areas for handicrafts. The arid landscape is home of the Great Salt Desert (the Rann of Kutch), herders, and tribal groups. The villages that are tucked away throughout the hills are where some of India’s finest crafts are made, and above all, textiles. The area is famed for its beautiful embroidery and mirror work, but also weaving, block printing, tie-dyeing, woodcarving, pottery and other crafts.
Our focus is cultural exchange, learning traditional techniques from local artisans. We will learn about the diversity of the communities, their histories and about the local cooperatives that help artisans make work that is marketable and yet preserves and continues their artistic heritage.
The city of Bhuj will be our homebase for most of the trip. We will be staying in smaller hotels that reflect the tastes and traditions of the area. From there, we will have day excursions to villages and sites. Our evenings will provide time to reflect on the days activities, sit and create together, or just relax. We will be enjoying the flavors and spices of India as we indulge in the local cuisine for our group meals.
- workshops and demos with artisans in local villages
- tie dye
- block printing
- bell makers
- lacquer wood work
- visits to museums
- overnight in mud house village
- visit with contemporary textile designers
- sight seeing to temples, stepwells, and monuments
- exploring Bhuj town and market
- trip to the Rann of Kutch (Great Salt Desert)
- 2 night stay in beach resort
- shopping and hunting for creative materials
- all lodging for the nights of the tour with twin share room. Single rooms available at additional cost
- ground transportation on planned excursions
- English speaking guide and driver
- all workshops and entry fees
- most meals (except those listed on itinerary) Note: for special dietary needs or preferences, please be proactive in planning any supplementation you may want/need/desire to the meals provided.
- welcome and farewell dinners and festivities
- transportation to and from airport in Bhuj
- tips and gratuities
- loads of laughs and fun!
- cultural conversations
- optional meditations
What's NOT Included:
- all international and domestic air travel to, from and within India
- personal items such as laundry, drinks, alcohol, personal gratuities, shipping, camera fees, room service, visa fees and travel insurance
- extra cost incurred due to change of itinerary due to circumstances beyond our control
- meals other than what is on the itinerary
Fees and Registration
Cost: $3900, limited to 10 people. Price based on double occupancy. Single supplement addtional $800.
A non-refundable $1500 deposit is due upon registration.
Final payments due October 1. There will be no refunds due to the planning and logistics involved. When you register, be sure you have informed yourself about traveling in India.
Payments can be made by check, credit card, or PayPal.
Fill out registration form, read terms and waiver, sign and place deposit to secure a spot. Registration will not be complete until signed paperwork and deposit is received.
Further Information and Recommendations
India is a country of many facets. It can be challenging to travel here and flexibility is key. We are sure to come across some unpredictable events that may be frustrating and yet the unexpected can be thrilling and inspiring. Part of the adventure is to adopt a “go with the flow” attitude. In India, beauty and poverty coexist. The country vibrates with a mix of religions, beliefs and traditions. Your journey here is sure to leave you with a greater appreciation of the people and the country that will be with you long after you leave.
- Check with your doctor for any vaccines or health advice. Be in good health as you may expect lots of walking.
- Get your visa early.
- Make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months after travel dates.
- Travel insurance is recommended.